约伯传 Job Chapter 40
Job
Chapter 40

1 The LORD then said to Job:

上主又接着问约伯说:

2 Will we have arguing with the Almighty by the critic? Let him who would correct God give answer!

好辩之士,岂能同全能者辩论?非难天主的,请答复这一切!

3 Then Job answered the LORD and said:

约伯回答上主说:

4 Behold, I am of little account; what can I answer you? I put my hand over my mouth.

“看,我这么卑贱,我能回答什么?只好用手掩口。

5 Though I have spoken once, I will not do so again; though twice, I will do so no more.

我说过一次,再不敢重复;我再说一次:我不敢再说什么!”

6 Then the LORD addressed Job out of the storm and said:

上主由旋风中回答约伯说:

7 Gird up your loins now, like a man. I will question you, and you tell me the answers!

你要象勇士束好腰,我要问你,请你指教我。

8 Would you refuse to acknowledge my right? Would you condemn me that you may be justified?

你岂能推翻我的评断,归罪于我,而自以为有理?

9 Have you an arm like that of God, or can you thunder with a voice like his?

你的手臂岂能同天主的相比?你的声音,那能象他的作雷鸣?

10 Adorn yourself with grandeur and majesty, and array yourself with glory and splendor.

请你以尊贵和高雅作你的点缀,以光华美丽作你的衣裳;

11 Let loose the fury of your wrath;

爆发你的烈怒,贬抑一切高傲的人;

12 tear down the wicked and shatter them. Bring down the haughty with a glance;

视察一切傲慢的人,加以制服,就地粉碎一切恶人;

13 bury them in the dust together; in the hidden world imprison them.

将他们一同埋在土中,把他们都关在黑暗中!

14 Then will I too acknowledge that your own right hand can save you.

如果你能这样作,我也要称赞你,因为你的右手救护了你。

15 1 See, besides you I made Behemoth, that feeds on grass like an ox.

且看河马,它同你都是我造成的,它象牛一样吃草。

16 Behold the strength in his loins, and his vigor in the sinews of his belly.

看它的精力全在它两腰,它的力量在腹部的肌肉;

17 He carries his tail like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are like cables.

它挺起尾巴象株香柏,它大腿上的筋交织在一起;

18 His bones are like tubes of bronze; his frame is like iron rods.

它的脊骨好似铜管,它的骨骸有如铁杠。

19 He came at the beginning of God's ways, and was made the taskmaster of his fellows;

它是天主的杰作,造了它主宰它的同僚。

20 For the produce of the mountains is brought to him, and of all wild animals he makes sport.

群山供给它食物,百兽在那里同它游乐。

21 Under the lotus trees he lies, in coverts of the reedy swamp.

它卧在莲叶之下,躺在沼泽和芦苇深处;

22 The lotus trees cover him with their shade; all about him are the poplars on the bank.

莲叶的荫影遮蔽着它,溪边的杨柳掩护着它。

23 If the river grows violent, he is not disturbed; he is tranquil though the torrent surges about his mouth.

河水涨溢,它毫不战栗;约旦河涨到它口边,它仍安宁。

24 2 Who can capture him by his eyes, or pierce his nose with a trap?

谁能在它目前捕捉它,或以木橛穿透它的鼻孔?

25 3 Can you lead about Leviathan with a hook, or curb his tongue with a bit?

你岂能以鱼钩钩上鳄鱼?以绳索缚住它的舌头?

26 Can you put a rope into his nose, or pierce through his cheek with a gaff?

你岂能以鼻圈穿过它的鼻子,以钩子刺透它的腮骨?

27 Will he then plead with you, time after time, or address you with tender words?

它岂能再三向你哀求,向你说甜言蜜语?

28 Will he make an agreement with you that you may have him as a slave forever?

它岂能同你订立盟约,使自己永作你的奴隶?

29 Can you play with him, as with a bird? Can you put him in leash for your maidens?

你岂能玩弄它象玩弄小鸟,将它缚着作你女儿的玩物?

30 4 Will the traders bargain for him? Will the merchants divide him up?

结伙的渔人不是想在它身上谋利,将它售与商人?

31 Can you fill his hide with barbs, or his head with fish spears?

你岂能以长矛穿透它的皮,以鱼叉刺透它的头颅?

32 Once you but lay a hand upon him, no need to recall any other conflict!

将你的手放在它身上罢!若你想到恶斗,决不敢再开始。

Previous Chapter Next Chapter

Footnotes(注解)

1 [15] Behemoth: the hippopotamus.

2 [24] Eyes . . . nose: the only exposed parts of the submerged beast.

3 [25] (25) Leviathan here is the crocodile. But cf Job 3:8.

4 [30] (30) Merchants: literally, "Canaanites," whose reputation for trading was so widespread that their name came to be used for merchants; cf Proverb 31:24. The meaning of this verse is that the crocodile is too powerful a creature to be sold like a common fish.